About this opportunity:
The NSW Refugee Health Service (RHS) is a state-wide service that aims to protect and promote the health of refugees and those from refugee-like backgrounds living in NSW. Newly arrived refugees may experience high levels of stress and may feel socially isolated as they settle in a new country and this is particularly true for asylum seekers. Involvement in physical activity can help reduce stress levels as well as having other health benefits such as reducing heart disease, cancers, and diabetes. Participating in physical activity sessions with others, such as walking, can also help reduce social isolation.
To promote physical health and reduce social isolation, the RHS plans to set up regular walking groups run by volunteers. The walking groups will also introduce participants to free or low cost exercise facilities in their local area (Liverpool, Fairfield and surrounds).
- Lead a walking group each week in either Fairfield or Liverpool
- Contact clients to remind them to attend
- Inform clients about free or low cost physical activity services in the local area
- Assist in mapping out new walks and researching new low cost activities
- Communicate and provide feedback regularly with the Volunteer Manager
- Attend orientation and training
- Work in accordance with RHS policies and procedures
Please see the Position Description for full details: RHS Walking Coordinator Volunteer
To express your interest please call Danielle Weber on ph. 8781 8183 or email email@example.com
A Working with Children, Police and reference check will be required.
About this organisation:
2-4 hours, one day a week, between Monday-Friday.Skills required:
Ability to walk at least one hour at a moderate pace.
Ability to lead and motivate a group of people to be physically active.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Good organisational skills.
Non-judgmental, flexible and adaptable.
Ability to support staff and follow directions.
RHS will provide orientation and training.
Hub core training available to all volunteers.
Liverpool NSW, Australia