About this opportunity:
The NSW Refugee Health Service (RHS) is a state-wide service that aims to protect and promote the health of refugees and those from refugee-like backgrounds living in NSW. The RHS provides refugees with health assessments on arrival and appropriate health care referrals, as well as language-specific health education sessions.
Health Navigation Volunteers will assist and mentor newly arrived refugees, helping them to navigate the health care and transport systems. This will enable them to successfully attend their health appointments, in particular appointments at hospitals, with specialists, at dental clinics, women’s health centres and with other health practitioners.
- Attend orientation and training
- Plan and organise public transport or car transport to health care appointments
- Assist the client to get to health appointments in a timely and safe manner
- Determine is assistance is needed for any follow-up appointments
- Provide guidance to empower the client to eventually navigate the health care and public transport systems independently
- Work in accordance with RHS policies and procedures
- Communicate regularly with the Health Navigator Manager
- Maintain confidentiality
- Act in an appropriate and respectful manner
Please see the Position Description for full details: RHS Health Navigation Volunteer PD
To express your interest please call Danielle Weber on ph. 8781 8183 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A Working with Children, Police and reference check will be required.
About this organisation:
Be available at least two days a week between Mon-Fri. However, volunteers are usually only required 0.5 to 1.0 days/week. Longer term volunteers preferred.Skills required:
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and ability to build positive relationships with clients.
Good English language proficiency.
Good organisational skills.
Ability to support staff and follow directions.
Ability to empower and support clients.
Keen interest and willingness to assist and support newly arrived refugees.
Available during working hours.
RHS will provide orientation and training.
Hub core training available to all volunteers.
Liverpool NSW, Australia