About this opportunity:
The House of Welcome urgently needs Wednesday and Thursday volunteers.
The Drop-in and Reception volunteer is the first point of contact for clients. They welcome people to the centre, assist with sign-in, conduct intake assessments and provide assistance as required whilst the client is accessing the centre.
This role also coordinates the stocking and distribution of food for the House of Welcome’s Foodbank. Clients accessing the Foodbank may have no other source of income, and as a result may be without basic food and household items. The Drop-In Volunteer plays a crucial role in making clients feel welcome when collecting from the Foodbank.
- To be the first point of contact for all House of Welcome clients
- To provide a safe and welcoming environment for all clients
- Answering the telephone and redirecting calls to appropriate staff members.
- To engage and chat with clients who are awaiting meetings
- To make available appropriate referrals to other service providers
- To complete first contact sheets and assess urgency for case support and assist caseworkers if directed
- To assist with other forms/documents/applications/tasks i.e. phone calls as requested by the clients
- To unpack donations and assist clients with accessing Food Bank
- Data entry for the House of Welcome database
- Respect for the rights and dignity of each person at the House of Welcome
- Ability to uphold clear professional boundaries and confidentiality
A Working with Children Check is required.
About this organisation:
Once a week 9.30am-3.30pm, on either Wednesdays or Thursdays. A minimum 3 month commitment is required.Skills required:
• Casework experience would be advantageous
• Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to learn
• Excellent communication skills particularly with vulnerable clients and across cultures
• Respect for the rights and dignity of each person at the House of Welcome
• Ability to work unsupervised
• Good organisational skills and ability to manage a varied workload
• Good proficiency level with Microsoft Word and Outlook
• Good telephone manner
• Patience with varying levels of English proficiency
Induction training / Hub core training
Compliance with HOW Volunteer Policies & Procedures
Upholding the Purpose, Vision and Values of SFSS
197 The Trongate, South Granville, NSW, 2142, Australia